The story goes this way:

My photo
We are all so alike yet we are totally different.
人生苦短何必念念不忘

Thursday 16 May 2013

Thereafter



Overall experience :  Please bold the answers

  1. I had a good experience on this programme :                                           Yes / No / Not sure
  2. I would recommend this programme to other students :                             Yes / No / Not sure
  3. I would recommend OOTB in the future :                                                 Yes / No / Not sure
  4. I believe the programme was worth the money I had to spend :                  Yes / No / Not sure

  1. What did you work as and what were your responsibilities at your workplace?
I was a mcdonald’s crew member.
I am responsible of most of the positions found in a mcdonald store, for example, front counter, drive-through windows, food preparations, food packaging, as well as cleaning the whole store.
2.       What is the minimum or maximum hours you worked in a week?  How many days do you work?
I don’t particularly document my working hours and days, but as far as I recall, it would be as follow:
Minimum hours: 28 hours
Maximum hours: 45 hours
Days: Generally vary from 3 days to 7 days a week
3.  What do you like /dislike about your job most and why?
The part I love most about my job is that, I get to interact with many customers. Being able to engage in conversation with them is the most precious moments I have ever expected, from old people to young lil’ kid who is struggling to order their own meals, it is just amazing.
They sometimes talk about their days and it was a great opportunity for me to learn to engage in short conversation with different people of different background!
  1. What was it about the job / workplace that surprised you most?
I have a rather equal expectation for my job, so I was pretty mentally-prepared for the job scopes.
As for the workplace, I am very surprised that I actually get to meet many different types of people within the colleagues. They basically come from different background, different culture, and each have their own stories. I enjoy interacting with them, and that I think I see a very different America from each of them!
  1. What do you think were the most useful skill you learnt at your workplace?
I would say I learnt a lot, like LITERALLY a lot, but if I had to choose one, I would say communication skills. I used to have a hard time talking to people back then, I was bad at engaging people, bad at greeting people. But because my job is mainly about providing service, I had to pick up all these skills. Though I now know it wasn’t as hard as I thought.

I can now greet total strangers, I can chat with people I met randomly on street, I learn how to chit chat with my new neighbours, and I am now all set to meet new people and make friends.

This may not sound impressive, but as for myself, it is a big achievement. I used to be the kind of people where I keep everything to myself, but now I am more comfortable in interacting with others. I like my new self!
  1. Do you have a 2nd job or 2nd employer?  What did you do for the 2nd job?  How did you find the 2nd job / employer?  How many hours did you work at the 2nd job?

N/A
  1. How much was your accumulated earnings (for all jobs)?  Please state if they are before / after tax deduction, before / after food deduction, before / after housing deduction?
I don’t document closely on my salary, but the figure I can provide is that, after tax deduction and after housing deduction, I personally think I made at least $2500.

(This is an estimated figure. I started the one month travelling with a bank balance of $2200, so from there I roughly put together my spending thus arriving at $2500)
  1. How much did you bring home?   How much pocket money did you bring to the USA?
I brought none home.

I brought $1000 to USA, it lasted for over 2 months without including the housing. (because the housing is to be deducted from my pay cheque)


9.       Describe your housing arrangement (apartment, dorm and # of people to a room).  Were you satisfied with the housing arrangement?  If not, why?
No I am not satisfied with the housing arrangement.
The reason is that, we lived in a basement rather than a town house as per promised. And there is 8 of us (4 boys 4 girls) in that basement with zero rooms. Its is a common space where our bunk beds are separated by a mere curtain.

We were promised to have a town house and a room for 4-6people as housing, but we end up cramped in a basement, living zero privacy.

To make things even worst, there is no proper security planning for the housing. There is no door for the basement and not to even mention locking it. There is hardly sunlight in the basement, making the basement dim most of the time, and it just makes everyone feel tired.

Seriously, the housing condition is a very big disappointment.
  1. How do you travel to work?  Is there cooking facility at your housing?
I walk to work, as much as I was promised to be provided transport, I have been walking to work like 99% of the time. The 1% are the times where the colleagues who have cars are kind enough to give me a ride. And I found out that the route we walk to work, there is a part where we crossed the highway and it is illegal. We could be arrested for that.

Yes there is a cooking facility in our basement.
  1. What did you do during time off or days off?   Do you have the chance to travel during your work period?  Where did you go?
Our days off are normally used to standby for call in. But yes, we managed to make arrangement with the managers to go on some day trip! I have been to Philadelphia, Washington DC, Harrisburg and even Niagara Falls! Niagara falls in snow is still stunning like ever!
  1. How long did you travel for (after work period)?  Where did you go on your travel and how long did you spend at each location?  A simple itinerary may help future students?
I travelled for almost a month. I went New York(5), Orlando(6), Las Vegas(6), San Francisco(6) and Hawaii(5).
My personal favourite spot would be New York, Orlando and Hawaii!
New York, well, its like the city of the world, so I don’t have to say much on that.
As for Orlando, it is like a theme park town! There are a lot of mega awesome theme parks in Orlando! I met the spring break rush during my stay in Orlando, and wow, is that not my best experience of “holiday like a rockstar” or what!
Hawaii, the beach of the world! Yes bikinis, yes vacation people, yes hot girls/guys in minimal outfit, WHAT ELSE WOULD YOU NEED FOR A SPLENDID VACATION? Just go already!
  1. How did you decide on where to go or how did you plan your holiday?
I always had in mind that I wanted to go Orlando and New York.
SO then I was offered the opportunity to joined another 2 girls on the trip, the only thing I asked was that “will you guys be going to new York and orlando”
They said YES and then off I go!
  1. How much did you spend on your holiday (excluding shopping)?
For the expenses including hotels, ground transports, air transports, I am looking at about $2,500
  1. Do you have any tips for other students on planning their holiday, eg.  must-see special places, cost saving tips, specific airline, travel agent, accommodation, travel websites, blogs to recommend, places to avoid?
Rule #1. If you happen to find out that you are ripped off, well ride the waves and forget about it.what’s done is done and let it be. No matter how smart you are, there will always some slip-away chances to be ripped off. Well, that is the destiny of tourist, try your best to stay smart but if it does happen then let it be. Just make sure you stay safe and happy. NEVER LET ANYTHING RUIN YOUR TRIP.

I love tripadvisor.com, as they have basically everything on the site.
I would say Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls, New York(just walk on the street and you will get what I mean), and Magic Kingdom of Disneyland.
16.   Are there any non-tourist spots you would recommend?
Random Bars
17.   Did you feel safe travelling?  If not why?  Did you have to take safety precautions while travelling?
Yes, I felt safe during my travels. The people are generally helpful, much helpful than I have ever know.

18.   What were your expectations of the programme and were they met?
My expectations are rather low, I only expect myself to go explore, and yes of course it is met.
It even outdo my expectations so much more! Not only I get to explore different cultures, I have made friends, I am now more relatable to those Hollywood movies(yes I think this is a very good bonus part), I learn the “friendly” personality of Americans, and I can now point on the world’s map and talk about another piece of land!
19.   What did you like and not like about the American culture? 
I love their friendliness! In the place where I worked, there are some regular customers that grew to be a friend of mine! Some of them even bring me and other colleagues cookies and snacks during specific shifts! They would also ask about my asian culture and it is just great talking to this huge variety of people! Also, I love how helpful they are!I had an experience where an old man who wanted just a small cup of coffee actually paid the meals of a mother of 4 when the lady forgot her purse. She was all clumsy with her 4 kids, and was apologizing because she forgotten her purse, when the old man walked up to her and just said he will take care of it. There was also one time I was with a friend, carrying all the groceries we bought, walking on the shoulder of a road at night. A very kind old lady stopped her car and gave us a ride! That was actually during Chinese new year time, such warm act really means a lot to us! (Faith in humanity, RESTORED!)

I hate the tipping culture. I am not the kind of person who give tips, which is why I always have to remind myself to tip the waiter or whoever that serves me. That definitely bothers me because I am just a poor tourist who is trying to mind my own business. (LOL!)
20.   Did you have problem adapting to life in the US?  How did you overcome it?
In adapting their lifestyle, there is only one problem I have faced: I HATE FRENCH FRIES!
And how did I overcome it? No I didn’t overcome it, I still hate French fries.
21.   What are the 3 most valuable things you learnt on this trip?
1. To be or not to be happy, it depends on you yourself. In whatever situation, you can still be happy as long as you want to!
2. Never rely on others in making your own decision. Always make your own thinking, your own consideration and eventually your own conclusion
3. There are bad people who will try their best to make your life miserable, but look around, there will also be good people that will help you make it through.
22.   What are the 3 most memorable experiences you had on this trip?
1. To join the protest we had to fight for our rights against our employer
2. To learn Spanish from my fellow housemates
3. To see a total different America from each of the Americans I have met!
23.   Do you think this experience has helped you for the future?
OF COURSE! I now know myself better, has a clearer mind, and is liking myself better than I ever had! There are too many good things from this experience, I am truly glad that I joined!
24.   Would you recommend this programme to friends or relatives?  Why?
Yes! It is a great opportunity to explore another part of the world, the background of most blockbuster movies!! also, I would say it is a great chance to have a good look at yourself, as in, “What would you become if you are no longer in the safe zone?”
25.   Would you recommend the employer?  Why?
NO. He is very selfish.
26.   Would you recommend Out of the Box?  Why?
Yes I would. OOTB had helped me a lot throughout the experience, from application until I am already home. OOTB has been keeping up with me especially when I had trouble with my social security. It felt much better knowing you are not stranded on a stranger land with a problem all by myself.
27.   Would you agree to allow OOTB to use your photos and feedback in our marketing material?  Would you be interested in being our ambassador and help provide information to future student?
Yes, though my photos are not uploaded yet, but I did made some slideshow videos of my trips and they are on youtube. Let me know if you do need the link or the video. I am more than willing to help future students, for I have received so much help back then as well!

I am interested to help provide information, but then since I will be working soon, so I might not be so sure on that. But keep me posted, I will try to make it if I am needed.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...